Planning on applying to the CFI 2023 Innovation Fund Competition?
As the deadline to submit your Expression of Interest (EOI) is just around the corner, we encourage the MRM members that are planning on applying to the CFI 2023 Innovation Fund competition to reach out to us.
Our goal is to evaluate the number of applications submitted by MRM members in order to plan ahead and be able to offer as much support as possible to encourage successful initiatives in stem cells and regenerative medicine at McGill.
Please contact us by email at email@example.com to let us know about your project.
See below the announcement by the Office of Sponsored Research.
CFI 2023 innovation fund competition
The Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) has established a model of permanent funding which offers Innovation Fund (IF) competitions at regular intervals of 24 to 30 months until 2026. This allows institutions to plan strategically and to propose mature projects that offer the best potential for transformative impact, while continuing to develop promising ones for future competitions. The CFI-IF program provides funding across the full spectrum of research, from the most fundamental to applied through to technology development and for large-scale research infrastructure that will enable world-class research.
It is anticipated that the CFI 2023 IF competition will be launched in Fall 2021 with submissions in Spring 2022.
To be successful to the Innovation Fund, a project should:
- Propose an innovative research program with clear objectives, themes, and activities.
- Build on established capacity (critical mass and/or infrastructure) to accelerate current research and technology development or to enhance emerging strategic priority areas.
- Demonstrate that the research team has the necessary expertise to conduct the proposed research and use the infrastructure.
- Enable the team to fully exploit the research infrastructure and drive world–class research.
Researchers interested in applying to the upcoming IF must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) in order to initiate the space planning and the internal review process. Researchers who are participating in an IF proposal led by another institution where a contribution from McGill CFI envelope is requested must submit an EOI as well. Information about the EOI can be found here.
- Expression of Interest (EOI):
- By March 31, 2021 – Projects with major renovation/construction/ installation
- By May 31, 2021 – Projects with minor or no renovation/ installation
- Research Outline (10 pages): June 30, 2021 – All projects
- CFI Notice of Intent submission: Winter 2022 (anticipated)
- CFI Full application submission: Spring 2022 (anticipated)
If you have questions please contact Léa Muzakare, Senior Advisor, CFI Research Development, Office of Vice-Principal, Research and Innovation.