Stem Cell Network and Mitacs Industry-Based Internship Partnership
Recognizing the importance of talent development to advance the sector, in 2022, the Stem Cell Network and Mitacs launched a new partnership that will provide tomorrow’s life science leaders with the skills and experience required to work within Canada’s burgeoning RM sector.
The SCN-Mitacs industry-based internship partnership aims to pair the brightest graduate students and postdoctoral fellows with RM-focused biotech companies that are moving innovative therapies and technologies into the marketplace.
This internship partnership is offered through the Mitacs Accelerate program and will match up to five candidates per year with Canadian companies to complete an eight-month internship. Successful candidates will gain exposure to and work experience in industry and develop fundamental technical and business skills by undertaking a stem cell and regenerative medicine-related project. The program will run annually from 2022 to 2025.
To view the 2022-2023 Interns, click here.
Mitacs and Stem Cell Network Industry-Based Internship Program 2023-2024
Stage 1 Application Deadline: March 1, 2023
Start Date: July 2023 – January 2024
This application cycle is for the Summer/Fall 2023 term (for projects beginning no earlier than July 2023) and will fund up to five intern positions.
Who Should Apply
This internship is intended for students in Masters/PhD programs or for Postdoctoral fellows. Recent graduates within two years of their degree and affiliated with an eligible academic institution will also be eligible.
- Train highly qualified personnel to be scientific and industry leaders able to position Canada at the forefront of regenerative medicine
- De-risk innovations and fertilize the field for subsequent commercial activity
Partner Companies (See here for a full internship description):
- Allarta Life Science
- Aspect Biosystems
- Axolotl Biosciences
- Cryostasis Inc
- Jenthera Therapeutics
- Mediphage Bioceuticals
- Mesintel Therapeutics
- Morphocell Technologies
- Octane Orthobiologics
- PanTHERA Cryosolutions
- Virano Therapeutics
Dates & Key Details
- March 1, 2023: Expression of Interest application package is due
- March 2023: EOI application packages evaluated by SCN’s Training and Education Committee
- March-April 2023: Matchmaking between interns and companies
- May 12, 2023: Full applications to Mitacs are due
- July 2023 – January 2024: Internship start date
How to Apply
Applications to the Mitacs-Stem Cell Network partnership is a two-stage process: Expression of interest, and then a full Mitacs Accelerate application package. Applicants may apply in English or in French.
- Stage 1:
Expression of Interest (EOI) application packages (due March 1, 2023) will be evaluated by SCN’s Training and Education Committee, and top-ranked application packages provided to the companies marked in the “Interested” column (see table, below). Companies will review application packages and select candidates for a follow-up Zoom interview. All candidates will be notified of outcomes.
Due Date: March 1, 2022
- All candidates must submit an expression of interest application form, which includes the upload of the Candidate CV, biosketch, company preferences, and a “selfie” video link.
- In addition, SCN requires a letter of support from the candidate’s supervisor detailing how the candidate’s participation in the internship program will benefit the candidate and the lab’s stem cell research program as a whole. Letters should be emailed directly to Ellie Arnold at email@example.com by the application deadline.
- Stage 2:
Successful eligible applicants from Stage 1 will be invited to submit a Mitacs Accelerate application.
- April 28, 2023: Deadline for submission of full application package to Mitacs
- May-June 2023: Mitacs review process
- Successful candidates notified once peer review complete
Projects are expected to start no earlier than July 2023.
- This internship is intended for students in Masters/PhD programs or for Postdoctoral fellows. Trainees must work in a Canadian University or research institute in the field of stem cells and regenerative medicine. Recent graduates within two years of their degree and affiliated with an eligible academic institution will also be eligible.
- Applicants must be legally permitted to reside and work in Canada by the award start date. There are no citizenship requirements for this program. SCN and Mitacs welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourages applications from persons with disabilities or members of minority groups underrepresented in the sciences.
- Interns may be required to travel to participate in this opportunity (see below for financial details). At least two months of the eight-month internship must be hosted by the academic institution.
- Eligible candidates are eligible for funding of $30,000 CAD, for two four-month terms, fully funded by both Mitacs and Stem Cell Network.
- The $30,000 award breaks down as follows:
- $20,000 ($10,000 per term) as a mandatory minimum stipend
- $10,000 for flexible research expenses which could be allocated towards consumables for the project, eligible travel and relocation expenses, or additional stipend
For questions pertaining to this initiative or application process, please contact:
Ellie Arnold, Training Coordinator, Stem Cell Network firstname.lastname@example.org
Jillian Murray, PhD., Director, Strategic Partnerships, Mitacs email@example.com